Alan Doyle, Sean McCann and Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
In honour of Great Big Sea's 20th anniversary and the release of their new box set "XX" on Oct. 30, we count down our 20 favourite moments, videos, songs and everything we love about this group of awesome Newfoundlanders.
See more: Juno Awards 2014 finds a home in Winnipeg
20. The variety of instruments that the founding members play.
According to The Canadian Encyclopaedia, here is a list of the instruments each founding member of the band is able to play:
- Alan Doyle is responsible for "vocals, guitar, bouzouki, mandola, mandolin and banjo." He can also play the medieval lute.
- Bob Hallett is also responsible for vocals and can play the "mandolin, mandola, bouzouki, banjo, fiddle, whistles, pipes, accordion and concertina."
- Sean McCann, a vocal contributor, plays the "guitar, tin whistle, bodhran and handles percussion."
Watch: Canadian music videos
19. The whole album "Up," but especially the track "Run Runaway."
18. They've performed on a cruise ship tour called "Ships and Dip."
Read More »from Great Big Sea: 20 of our favourite things for their 20th anniversary